Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Potty Mouth


(photo credit: 3 sweets )

With such an extensive vocabulary (and an ever-developing one at that), I suppose it was bound to happen. I just didn't think it would be so soon! Occasionally, Miles and I have been known to let a few bad words cross our lips in frustration at something or other. We figured Scarlett hadn't noticed or wasn't paying attention, but yet again, we were wrong.

The other morning, Scarlett came out with the following choice phrase: "Oh my Jeeeethuth!" (translation: Oh my Jesus!). I feel it important to state that we have never uttered this phrase before (specific words, perhaps, the phrase itself, no) - this particular combination is pure Scarlett.

We are teachers. We know exactly what to do in such situations - not make a fuss, ignore it, redirect to something more appropriate etc etc. Of course knowing what to do and actually doing it, are two different things. What we actually did was crack up laughing. We laughed so hard tears ran down our cheeks. Excellent.

Naturally Scarlett looked extremely pleased with herself and proceeded to repeat "Oh my Jeeeethuth" several times. Thankfully, after the surprise of the first outburst, we managed to keep it together long enough to react more appropriately. OMJ has made an appearance a few times since, but we are hoping it's just a phase.

I feel like it really is irony coming to slap me in the face, as I am not in the least bit religious. Ahhh, funny when it's not you!

No comments: