Pages

Friday, January 05, 2007

NZ trip - the saga begins

Posts have been few and far between as we have been touring NZ during our Christmas holidays. It started with rather a lot of drama unfortunately, which was the only downer of our trip.

Scarlett and I both had Mycoplasma and were definitely under the weather. On top of that, I had managed to come down with a completely miserable vomiting bug the day before we left, leaving me extremely weak and unable to hold any food in (cue violins). We took Scarlett to the Paediatrician to check she was ok to fly. The Doctor recommended Scarlett go on a drip for the day to ensure she would be properly hydrated for the flight.

I was in no state to look after myself, let alone Scarlett, so poor Miles had to take the day off work and accompany her to the hospital. Thankfully, our Kiwi friend Belinda came to the rescue and helped me take ALL our luggage in to the hospital to pick up Scarlett and Miles before heading to the airport.

The flight was extremely difficult, especially for Miles as I was practically useless when it came to helping out with Scarlett. For her part, Scarlett seemed determined to stay awake as long as she possibly could, even after taking her medicine (which was supposed to make her drowsy). I still couldn't eat anything, so by the time we touched down I had no energy whatsoever. I told Miles I didn't think I could walk and the paramedics were called. After a check up and instructions to head straight to the doctor's, I was wheeled out of the airport in a wheelchair! Definitely a dramatic entrance, though rather unplanned.

Unfortunately the bug I had was so virulent it spread like wildfire through the family and any unsuspecting friends. More about that later...

Here is a pic of Scarlett in hospital before we left:

No comments: