Pages

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Our Little Thespian

Scarlett has been going to Acting Antics drama classes for a term or two, and the culminating project was a play for parents on June 5th. This happened to coincide with Moving Day (new apartment), so was a bit of a busy day!

Miles had to dash off to sign something for the movers, but he managed to snap these on our little point & shoot. I had no idea where our big camera went in the move... I did video it, but Miles is still editing it, so when he's done I'll add it.

Right! Now the play was written by the owner of Acting Antics in Singapore, and was about Kings, Queens, Gypsies and dragons. Scarlett played the part of Rose, a townsperson. There were only 2 people in her class for most of the term, so the owner bumped them both up a grade to join the play. Scarlett was the youngest one in it.

She memorised her lines the week after they were given (thanks in large part to support from Miles), and worked on her expression. She was most excited by the stage makeup (which, I have to say was awful to get off after the fact!), and apparently asked the lady for pink lips.



Now, it's entirely possible I could be biased, but Scarlett spoke all her lines loudly and clearly, with good expression. She followed the stage directions beautifully (including a part where she had to look away so she wouldn't see a phoenix running by). We were very proud of her.



I got lots of lovely comments from other parents after the show, so that was nice. They couldn't believe she did so well for one so young.

No comments: